PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Skippers (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 06:17
Obidiah

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll place a nod and a vote for the Shed Dog Tosser's post.

I personally know a seasoned and respected pilot who went in full of vim and vigor and left very disappointedly not long after, and suffered a torpedoing to boot.

Skycapt_73

When an organisation sinks as low as this one appears to have sunk it can be safely assumed that useful communication between the troops and management is over.

Your comment regarding the fact there is a system in place either within the organisation or within CASA to have such a serious concern addressed sounds at best like gross naivety.

I am sure that if SDT thought that approaching either management or CASA would result in the concerns being acted upon in a professional and diligent manner SDT would do so. However I know that taking such action would do nothing more than label him/her a whistle blower and successfully sink his/her career.

Regarding your comments on the apparent flame out on short final, I for one, and not being privy to the finer details, would be asking some very pointed questions of what and why the crews action where what they where. Please understand I don't wish to denigrate the crew and I am sure they did the very best they could, but perhaps there was something missing in their bag of knowledge/experience which now appears to have been addressed with modified SOP's. I'll take a punt here and make an assumption, but I bet London to a brick many including management were aware of the inaccuracies of the previous fuel measuring/cross checking procedure that resulted in the incident, but were reluctant to take a proactive safety stance on the matter, and instead waited for justification for a reactive approach.

Now I wouldn't know who SDT was or is, even if I woke up along side of him/her but in light of all the negativity leveled at this company it might be time for management at all levels to attend the room full of mirrors and have a good hard look at themselves.

Lest they face the compounding humiliation of such an awful event as LHR and then have to face the collective "I told you so" from a group of supposed subordinates.