PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Arabia - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 6th Jul 2008, 21:13
W Weasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Answers

Hey Guys:

The first time I came through the Middle East was in 1978 in the right seat of an L-1011 charter flight. We flew from SAN to LHR to DXB to KTM. Fuel and crew stops them all. You must remember there were no airlines here at that time. No EK or EY; no Jazerra or Omani; no Qatar or ABY – nothing but Saudi, Kuwait and Gulf Air with its VC-10s. Don’t get technical about Royal Jordanian, Iran Air, Syranian Air etc for they are not and never have been big players.

The point is the aviation business in this region has literally blown up the last decade. Even the powerhouse (EK) only really grew the last 6-7 years. As for low cost airlines ABY was the first some 4.5 years ago. Today you have SAMA, NAS, Jazerra, RAK, and Fly Dubai right here. If you exclude Indian Airlines, you have another dozen or so in India (Indigo, Deacon, Sahara, Indian Express etc.) All flying 737s or 320s and only 2 hours from the ME! Even the Indian big boys (Jet Airways and Kingfisher) with their A-330s, 340s and 777 have only come on scene the last few years (Kingfisher is getting A-380s.) Now throw in the Chinese (China Southern, Northern, Eastern etc.) and you have 50% of the planet’s population (along with 2 of the 3 fastest growing economies on the planet) within reach of a baby bus or turbo Hoover Boeing. Don’t forget the Russians George (Patton)!

So Nibraska you are right to say “there is a big demand [for] pilots.” But more so there is a big choice for pilots. So the question is why ABY?

In my case I can only say there are a ton of personal reasons: location, management, corporate vision, job satisfaction, equipment, maintenance growth, esprit-de-corp and a dozen other factors. Sure there is BS, but where isn’t it? You want to make good money and have a low cost of living go to Air Asia or Vietnam Air – Dubai and Sharjah are quite expensive. Nice planes and good money – but those pilots at ABY that flew there and left can tell you – did you ever work for a Vietnamese? Great layovers and walk right into a 340 or 777 – go to EK or EY – can you say arrogant management George? Nice planes and good location – Qatar or Bahrain – but expect to spend a fortune and wait months for a house or school.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Those that know me know I do not drink the Jonestown Kool-aid. But you want different flying; it exists all over the region. Beautiful countryside flying A-321s for Air Astana – can you say Borat? A-380s for Kingfisher – shake your head! Want a beer – don’t go to Jazerra! See a bikini at the beach – just say no to NAS! Big cash; pay your taxes at Jet Airways. Why do cows, with acres of grass to eat, always stick their heads between the wires on a fence to chew the grass on the other side of the fence?

While it is very expensive to live and work here at ABY, you have everything as well. With the falling dollar (the local currency AED is tied to the US dollar) inflation is running about 12-15%. However, the UAE (especially Dubai) is a fully Western nation/city. English is spoken everywhere including the local Emiratee population. The intellectual level of the local population (including the Bahrainis, Omani etc) is extremely high with advanced degrees from Europe and the USA. Western schools flourish and the education level is far above that of the USA’s best private schools. Services (internet, cell phones, movies, etc) as well as the infrastructure (roads, sewer – excluding drainage for rain – garbage collection) is the best in the world. The UAE does everything bigger and larger than anywhere in the world – it is custom.

Homes, my friends for those in the West, you have never seen such homes! 4000-5000 sq ft homes are a dime a dozen and they are considered “modest.” I have previously described my home and location, but size is something most of you in the West can not even dream about.

So I hope I have answered some of your concerns. For those of you who have PMed me I believe I have included your concerns and my beliefs and feelings. I will address the requirements mentioned a little more later, but I honestly feel I have done that already.

I’m out-a-here! You have the lead!