PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2008, 15:16
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exercise books

I have to apologize to my grandson, for suggesting he might have swapped my R.A.F exercise books for an i-pod.
He has just brought them back. I thought I would reproduce the first two pages and explain how we we attended lectures during the day, entered the the days work in our books, in the billets in the evening. After this we would test each other to ensure we had memorized it correctly.
Page one and two are very elementary.but still required a lot of memorizing It became more difficult as we went along, and this particular book consisted of 160 pages , all hand written.

From my notes I am reminded that the Tiger Moth (DH 82 A) had to have the prop swung by hand , but on the PT 17 we had to put a handle in the side of the engine cowling turn it until we heard a loud whine. This meant a flywheel was spinning fast we then we pulled out a clutch lever, this rotated the engine which usually started up straight away. This was called an inertia starter.

The rest of the book covers all the items I have previously mentioned, and I can now refer to it as I ramble on. There are pages on Visual signals used by airfield controllers. Pyrotechnics, Entering the beam on a Q.D.M , . Theory of bombing plus, plus, ad infinitum. All to be memorized for future exams.
Will describe our flying exercises next.
SEMPER IN EXCRETA.