PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747-100 engine problems on early versions
Old 6th Jul 2008, 12:54
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diddy,

I should have RTFQ..... you asked about stalling on the ground. I know that of the three engines we operated in the 80's: The -7A's, 7F's, -70A's and the Q's the 70A's were the worst. They frequently over-tempted on start (tail winds up the pipe made the engineers arms sore waiting for max motor,) They had "transient" overtempts a lot and on T/O, Climb, but especially on reverse. Frequently as well, they just wouldn't mechanically come out of reverse (not sure if it was the reverser sleeve sticking or what.) The reverse lever would go haywire and kind of get stuck in transit (neither rev or stowed command position) and then you only had a second or two to save five million dollars. The mechanical drums on the EGT would take off like a loto slot machine clicking to beat hell, and it was a race to kill it before it blew the redline. At our outfit, the engineer had permission to kill an inboard any time without asking on the ground, and an outboard if the captain concurred. Even on rollout! The Q's were the best of the JT9D's.

It was the end of the Golden Age of Jumbo flying. And I can't think of anyplace I'd rather be than at a bar in hong kong or NRT or someplace with those fine gentlemen.

Cheers!