PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it the same? When you were having your flight training
Old 6th Jul 2008, 08:16
Farrell
The Cooler King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have your heart set on training to become a pilot then I would recommend that you take the modular route due to the way the industry is at the moment.

Please don't be naive enough to accept as fact that "now is the best time to start training" - that advice is coming from a flying school who wants your money!

As the market grinds to a halt, flight schools will have to start reducing prices in order to compete. If fuel remains high in price, then the reductions will have to be made in aircraft rental costs, the prices that instructors get paid, accommodation fees and whatnot.

Schools are scrambling to get people signed up now for integrated courses before the situation gets any worse, hence you being told that it's an ideal time to start.

As an experiment, I phoned a school yesterday, who shall remain nameless, only to be told, "the industry is now in the pre-boom phase", "there is a massive shortage of qualified FOs", "if you don't find a school soon, there will be no places for you should you wait until next year", "training prices are only going to increase", "time-frame to a job after training here - three months maximum" You should hang your head in shame! And in fact, the relevant aviation authorities should have a watchdog commission set up to test out the integrity of schools selling this stuff!

In the current situation, I would find a decent paying job and save yourself a financial cushion for a year.
Then, I would put that cushion away and start a budget plan and begin saving for a PPL (FAA). Call the account: PPL or Step 1 - whatever.

Go and do your PPL and do your best to stay within your budget.

Repeat above process for CPL, Multi and IR. As and when you see fit.

Your age and the industry should be your guide here.
Stay current on the forums, order Flight International and keep abreast of the industry. If you are under 25 then you have LOADS of time to play with.

Read everything you can get your hands on about flying. The FAA have all their manuals available online to download for free. Thousands of pages of pdf files on Airmanship, Aircraft Flying, Instrument Flying, Mass and Balance.....all for free!

Ride out the storm, take your time and no matter what anyone tells you.... do not put yourself in a bad financial situation to get a job flying.
It's just not worth it.