PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2008, 07:51
Bis47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach Flaps setting

While configured with "landing Flaps", and flying at Vref, you have 30% margin against the stall (or minimum flyable airspeed, wahatever the terminology). Il, at that time, you retract flaps to "approach flaps setting", you are left with at least 20% margin above the stall ... and much les drag.

Retracting the flaps to the "aproach flaps setting" is one of those required immediate actions if you start a go-around initialy in "landing flaps config" and get an engine failure at the same time.

Any-one with a good training is familiar with this flaps retraction, so I can understand that the crew might have reduced the flaps from 30 to 25 without taking a chance of immediate stall.

Now, when I read that so many members consider that letting the auto-pilot fly the aircraft in such a situation -and loosing more than 30 knots in the process - is "doing a good job" ... I wonder about their degree of basic piloting skill and about their airmanship ... if any.

It was stated somewhere that replaying the situation in the simulator with more "creativity" resulted in an almost normal touchdown at the very beginning of the tarmac. No wonder ...

Analysis the crew performance will indeed give usefull information about the effectiveness of their previous training (flying skill, airmanship, crew co-operation), and as a matter of consequence, of modern, minimum training in general. "System operation" training ...