PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers risking my job!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2008, 00:20
DELAY 410

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When fuel hits $150 Qantas will no longer be able to run as it does and the model will change and maybe it will no longer require many peoples services.
Yes, I agree, the model will change, it always does. Yes maybe in the future model Qantas won't require as many peoples services, but this has little to do with the engineers asking for 5%, just because they are asking for 5% doesn't mean they think they are worth anymore than anyone else. It's just what they think they should get, the other unions are more than welcome to table the same offer, I'm sure the engineers won't begrudge them for it.
Alot of people are doing it tough now, but all the engineers have really done is stopped working O/T. Oh, and did you know the 4hr stoppages are because Qantas wouldn't let their union have feedback meetings on the base, and the company chooses to dock them 4hrs pay regardless of how long a meeting actually takes place for, so would you go back to work before that 4hrs was up and work for nothing...really.
Did you know that the engineers can't take leave to spend time with thieir families, are getting their pays docked, are being harassed by management, and are actually working harder now than ever to do their jobs using the system put in place by that management, they are just tired of trying to make a broken system work, and are tired of trying to highlight that to an ignorant management.
Have you heard of the XPT clause, overtime bank and many other things included in the EBA that are meant to erode working conditions. These are also the reasons why the EBA was rejected by the engineers.
This is so much bigger than 5% in the broader picture, it's about quality of life. Look if you are happy with 3%, fine, I hope you got it, but when someone asks for more, think of why first before speaking.