PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned CFIT?
Thread: Planned CFIT?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2008, 23:41
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
… the possibility that GPWS warnings are triggered when 'going visual' and inadvertently increasing the RoD
I assume that the onboard equipment is “Enhanced GPWS”. If so, then an alternative is that the ‘look ahead’ function could detect the hill as the turn is made towards it. If this is truly a nuisance warning, then Honeywell, when provided with aircraft type and example alerts (downloadable from the EGPWS box), may be able to adjust the terrain database whilst still maintaining a safe warning boundary.

There have been several EGPWS incidents involving the types of misinterpretation or misjudgement indicated in this thread – except that they occurred in flight with much higher safety risk. The statistics involving unwarranted alerts also suggests that there could be many more incidents involving these problems, except that they may not be reported or investigated.
With EGPWS there is no such thing as a false warning – there is always a reason for it. Always react to a warning by climbing to a safe altitude; then and only then consider the reasons for the alert, don’t assume - check.
So that the industry may learn, as above, submit an incident report, download the EGPWS data, investigate, and publish the results. In my experience Honeywell have always been most receptive to helping in these processes.

I hope that an operator to SEZ will submit a safety report on the poor chart format; it should be changed.
I suggest that any other approach chart showing similar problems be listed in this forum. Please only post the identifier with a link – not a picture; I still used dial-up internet, and then at half speed!