PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2008, 23:37
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Well the airshow was so well done.

Undoubtedly the star was the DC6. It came in about 1315, then performed right after the interval. Having photographed it from across the dock I walked over inside the airport and up to the railings right in front of it just as they prepared to start up. Smoke, spluttering, backfires, everything. At least there were no flames. And then repeated for each engine. Glorious. Whatever must first-time flyers sat inside one 50 years ago about to set off across the Atlantic have thought ! Then off for a spirited departure, appearing to use only half the runway length, and some nice manoeuvres. I’ve come home with a lot of airborne photographs of it, but the best are a few that manage to include some LCY scenery rather than just sky – lifting off with the dockside buildings in the background.

Now Dennis Kenyon, who I felt after his little mishap in the US last month would not be appearing (referred to VERY obliquely by the commentator today), especially after the details were deleted from the Fun Day web page, was there in his helicopter, or rather someone elses, and performed his usual fascinating display. Backwards and upwards, wingovers (well, you know what I mean), and a range of other manoeuvres. We saw him last year from across the dock and even Mrs WHBM was fascinated.

What a nice simple touch by BA who brought over a couple of large aircraft high-lift deicing rigs from (presumably) Heathrow and gave rides up high in the cab to the kids and let them fire the water (hopefully not with glycol in it) over into the dock. By the queue it looked popular. There was an even longer queue to go inside the BA RJ. I tell you folks, at 07.00 on a wet winter morning, walking out across the LCY ramp headed for a business meeting in Edinburgh, flying is not so glamorous.

Although the weather held it had rained in the morning, and there was a wind about 20kts out of the south which probably knocked a few of the participants out who were beyond their crosswind limits. Were there meant to be parachutists ? That would be an early loss, they would have to have exited south of the river !

One of the nice things about the London City show is it really is a “something for everyone” afternoon. Unlike Duxford, where everyone goes to watch the planes there are many there for the bouncy castle, or the bingo, with their backs to the display over their heads – it seems strange but that is where the interests of many of the population lie. That DC6 initial departure got the attention of most of them though ! Interesting that even after 60 years or more anything performing aerobatics is always “a Spitfire” (sorry Mrs. Whoever-you-were who described the Grumman Ag-Cat to your five year old as a Spitfire this afternoon, I just couldn’t help bursting out laughing).

Finally I’ve commented here before about the attitude of the police service based nowadays at London City, how during the week they stand at the top of the terminal escalator with their itchy fingers pawing the triggers of their machine guns and trying to look tough, thinking this makes the passengers feel safe but achieving exactly the opposite. Well days like today are great PR opportunities for all, and for them to be seen in a good light. So it was disappointing to find they had as ever parked and left unattended two police vehicles right on top of the busy zebra crossing in front of the terminal (the one LCY had to spend good money on to make it level for wheelchair access), obstructing both pedestrians and vehicles (buses and taxis were still in full service, the taxis doing good business with departing families with worn-out kids). Now I wonder what the attitude would be if I parked my car right on top of that zebra crossing, but I doubt it would be charitable. One of the police Transits sat empty in that position all afternoon. Yet another poor example of “one rule for you and another for me”. I don’t know who the Chief Superintendent is who heads their section, but he runs a sloppy show.

But the airshow was as ever very good, well done to all involved, display crews and behind the scenes. An A318 at the show next year ? Will he pull tighter turns than the DC6 did ?

Last edited by WHBM; 6th Jul 2008 at 00:01.