PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security Gone Mad.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2008, 18:43
Icarus53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whilst it may appear to casual observers that there are gaping gaps in the procedures, I think you will find they actually cover most contingencies quite well
While this comment may be valid within the context of the original scenario (fences in regional airports), I have to say that viewed in any wider sense, it can only be described as laughable.

There are gaping gaps in procedures. Full stop, no other way to put it. I say this not as a "casual observer", but as someone who has spent most of his adult life involved in security of sensitive items from criminal elements. Sadly, most of aviation's security measures are "face value" only, and serve to demonstrate to the public that government takes this stuff seriously. In reality, every major airport in the country contains metaphorical "gaps in the fence" that render security measures irrelevant.

Put it this way - the incomplete fence at YBHI isn't really of great concern in the wider aviation security picture, because if someone wants to get prohibited items onto an RPT flight, they can do it at YSSY. I'm not trying to be alarmist - that is the current state of play, and will continue to be so until we start spending money on real security measures, not just window dressing.