PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2008, 15:59
NinjaDan954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF Flight Screening Program

Hi guys,

(Being my first post, please redirect me if I'm posting incorrectly).

Basically I began my process in December last year, had no problems with the tests. Unfortunately my file was sitting on someone's desk at DFR for the last 4 months or so, rather than being sent off to the PSA.

Cut a long story short, at short notice I got informed of being panelled for the FSP next week.

Because I didn't hear ANYTHING from the ADF/DFR (not even a letter acknowledging being recommended to FSP, etc) I just assumed I wasn't a cut above the rest, so I hadn't had any flights or kept up the studying.

So in the last 10 days or so, I've been studying my tits off
(found this really helpful:FAA - Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge )
and trying to book for instructional flights has not been easy - apparently it's a really busy time to be flying, and was told I should be booking about a month in advance...

I've only had one 40 minute instructed flight in a cessna 152, but I LOVED IT!! I am seethingly jealous of every pilot, esp RAAF pilots, out there!!! You guys get to do THIS for a living?!!

My background is in veterinary surgery - lecturing and reasearching at 2 different universities after a short time in private practice. I think I've been placed in a good position - I've seen plenty of arrogant and cocky people as well as those that cannot work in a team, and saw my fair share of good and bad leaders. This motivated me to seek a good team working environment that was professional and dedicated, as well as requiring enormous amounts of physical and mental skills (ie, the military)
It also taught me to multi task, work under pressure, with lots of warning sensors/sirens going off, etc.
I am hoping these qualities are things that are useful in a miltary piloting setting.

Anyhoot, my questions are in regards to the FSP at the BAE systems in Tamworth:

1. Are candidates with little to no flying experience more likely to fail the course?

2. Does previous flying experience REALLY get compensated for? (esp if you have none to little??? Or is this an urban myth?)

3. What are the roles of the military pilot? (I gather there are lots of paper work roles, being an officer position and all?)

4. Although I'm due to fly out for Tamworth in 6 days time, should I cancel, in the hope of obtaining a later date? I accepted this originally feeling that the FSP is a test of potential, and although you could get several hours in the air, if I'm a dud, I wouldn't want to disguise it and try and "sneak" past the ADF. I gather the RAAF OSB people do this day in and day out, so they would pick out good from bad...?

5. I'm not sure how different the Warriors or Cessna's are to the FSP's CT4B Parrots and CAP10's... Is there any point in trying to find someone that could fly me up at such short notice?

6. can anyone recommend any flying centers in Sydney? (I've been going to Bankstown airport)

And any further tips/hints/info on the OSB would be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance, and apologies for an epic novel of a first post

Cheers,

Dan.