PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Tips ???
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2008, 00:49
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to comment on tired legs flying an airplane that is heavy on the controls used in the fire suppression business but it would not really pertain to this subject where private pilots are asking for advice on how to fly light aircraft in normal weather and turbulence conditions.
Sure it does, chuck. Flying is flying. The airplane doesn't know who is at the controls.

I assume that was a bit of a cheap shot on your part, however misplaced. I described a couple of light tailwheel airplanes, neither of which are heavy on the controls, flown in a general aviation environment.

Flying a conventional gear airplane isn't particularly difficult, but it does demand attention. It seems demanding when coming from a tricycle gear airplane at first, but only because the tricycle gear airplane has been doing it's job; making a safe, comfortable platform to fly. The conventional gear airplane is also safe, but it requires the pilot to make it safe and keep it safe. The comparison is somewhat like an automatic transmission vs. a standard stick shift; one goes without any real effort on the part of the driver, whereas the stick shift requires proper use of the clutch, proper shifting, selecting the right gear...it requires driver input to make it work, or it won't go at all. Convntional gear flying, much like learning to drive a stick shift, quickly becomes a natural act without requiring thinking about it. It just doesn't seem that way at first.