PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry into CASA.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2008, 20:30
bilbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read Paul Phelans' and Bill Hamiltons' submission and then saw Byron and Carmody commenting on ABC TV about AeroTropics (AT). I wanted to laugh but couldn't. It was so according to the script and all done for public consumption.

1. CASA shut down an RPT (AT) operation for immediate threat to life reaons. Transair was Charter yet they publically stated that they considered both Aerptropics and Transair had the same safety issues and had exactly the same risks to life and limb. Another CASA comment on Aerotropics was that 'the two other charter operators in FNQ could cope with the passenger load while AT was grounded'. That, in CASA terms, would be an 'Equivalent Safety Determination' that charter operations are no less safe than RPT, which makes a farce of the whole Class A maintenance, Ch & Trg standards, safety of the fare paying passenger, RPT requirement.

2. CASA (Byron and Carmody) commented on Fionas' submission that a pilot paying for flight time was a safety issue and they would have a look at stopping it. Does CASA now finally recognise that Pilot Pay and Conditions are a Safety Issue?. AFAP and AIPA where are you?. If a pilot, Command or Co-pilot, meet CASA's qualification and experience requirements to occupy a control seat, what's the safety issue?. OK so we'll pay him a dollar an hour. That's OK?. Daddy bought junior an aeroplane to play with, or a charter company (I saw it happen), that's not OK? his isn't getting paid.

Both issues off the cuff for the benefit of the public and the senate that CASA is the sole guardian and in control of aviation safety. Don't mess with us. The hipocracy is appalling.