PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just What Is Allowed?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2008, 18:35
west lakes
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not, however, a green light for you all to throw water at us when we are doing a manual demo, just to see if it works!
Aww shucks

On the subject of mobile phones in petrol stations I think it relates to an incident many years ago in the States where the cause of a fire at a refinery was deemed to have been the use of a mobile radio.
The legislation will probably not even refer specifically to mobile phones but probably to radio transmitting devices - which despite their name, mobile phones are!

As a comparison I have a Private Mobile Radio (PMR) in my car with a transmitting power of 25W that has to be turned off in petrol stations as it automatically acknowledges incoming calls by transmitting.

In reality a lot of legislation has failed to keep up with technology so rules brought in many years ago have never been updated, but going back to my original post in an aircraft you have agreed to a contract so legally you have to stick to it.

The Conditions above were from BA BTW, the Ryanair site has more or less the same & includes the wording "including but not limited to" preceding the same list as BA.
Its far easier to include a blanket ban on all electronic equipment as if CC start having to make choices they are in effect altering the terms of the contract if you think about it.