PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Donington : the heliport from hell ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2008, 15:56
Bravo73

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbeefer
I would guess that with Donn being so close to East Midlands and the M1 that the need for helis will be even less?
Traffic at major events at Donny Park can still be a nightmare. I can remember traffic being stuck for hours on the M1 due to the MotoGP a couple of years ago.

The current arrangements for a heliport at Donny Park are pretty useless. You can only hope that the new(ish) owners of DP will come up with a new plan after detailed consultation with East Mids ATC. (FWIW, the new owners are certainly very 'heli-friendly'.)

There's no reason that with sensible 'traffic flow control' through the zone, a plan should be workable which won't disrupt the FW traffic into East Mids. The East Mids ATCOs are certainly capable enough!

Edited to add: Although thinking about it, I guess that a lot of the punters will now be able to come into East Mids via private jet or even Easyjet. So maybe the demand for helis will drop off significantly... Although saying that, if you want to come direct from central London (ie Battersea), then a heli will obviously be your only option.

Last edited by Bravo73; 4th Jul 2008 at 16:19.