PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter onboard research vessel "Polarstern" crashed - two dead
Old 4th Jul 2008, 15:11
Phil77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no evidence that the "show-off" flying is connected in any way to the accident - but it does seem to be likely... maybe after some time the survivors will be able to remember.

That whole fun flying discussion in that report got me thinking about the other german BO-105 accident in 2003:
HEMS Pilot flies under a bridge (supposedly less than a meter (!) clearance above and below) - he made it through, but on the other side he pushed over to fly away when the skids caught a sheet of ice, floating in the waterway, and rolled over. Pilot and nurse survived, but the 37 yr old doc in the back drowned.

Obviously there is NO CONNECTION to the accident discussed here - just a reminder how show-off flying can end; even though the event described above is not "fun", or "show of" - just plain stupid (btw. the pilot flew for 10 years - also in the military where they do stuff like flying under bridges... but not for fun)

Surely I had my share of "fun-flying" or "showing-off" and most likely will feel tempted to do it again. Sadly should anything happen - maybe well later and totaly unrelated - it will be perceived by others that I was acting careless or reckless.

Just my thoughts and not intended to point fingers.