PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flights Greece/Turkey/Ercan, N. Cyprus
Old 4th Jul 2008, 12:29
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hallo Birdstrike 1

Apologies for only now getting back to you with a reply to your very first post. Obviously not a lot of private flying is done to and within Turkey, which is a pity, when one considers what treasures there are to see. And in spite of having one of the oldest and richest aeroclubs in the world (THK - Turkish Aeronautical Aviation), general aviation is fraught with bureaucracy, poor facilities (if any) for GA, much hanging about waiting for transport, fuel, plus exorbitant costs for handling.

It is absolutely necessary to do your homework well in advance, and, if landfall is unavoidable, do as few landings there as possible. I assume Ercan is not an airport of entry, in which case you'd need to choose, say, either Bodrum or Antalya (both have Avgas), but try to find out from the main handling agents (generally HAVAS) just what you may expect to have to fork out for their services. Be prepared to argue the toss, and make clear that you are not a private Airbus, but a small Piper. A flight plan is necessary, and when within Turkey don't fail to add in 'remarks' - 'VFR flight under ECAC agreement' or similar. Turkey has signed the ECAC agreement and it is mentioned in their AIP! All that as background, and to dispel any impression that VFR flying in Turkey is not on, but it can be daunting, though the actual flying is a cinch. We even got away with a dud transponder (until we got over the border from Bodrum, when Athens made us land in Kos to get it repaired!)

The AOPA Turkey rep is always of assistance and it is worth contacting him - his name is Erdogan Menekse, and you'll find his website here. I am listing those I recommend you to check out below, and hope they help:

DEVLET HAVA MEYDANLARI İŞLETMESİ GENEL MÜDÜRLÜĞÜ
Sivil Havacılık Genel Müdürlüğü
www. menekse-aviation.com.tr
www. burakhavacilik.org.tr (that's AOPA, but it's also Mr. Menekse)
Havaş
and a visit to www.aopa.gr may be worthwhile too.

The Jeppesen VFR trip kit for Greece (and whatever else you need to get there) is recommended, plus the IFR charts for the individual Turkish airports and enroute chart ME(H/L)1/2 (unless you prefer the full IFR trip kit for Turkey).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

cheers,

atb