PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BUZZ still BUZZING? What's the mood like for pilots?
Old 12th Feb 2002, 02:25
Herod

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver

Received 233 Likes on 71 Posts
Well, Lavdumper, I've given it a bit more thought, and my replies are still the same. Let me elaborate:

1. Buzz, as far as pilots are concerned, isn't a company as such. It's a trading name adopted by KLMuk for their low-cost airline. All pilots are employed by KLMuk, which is in turn wholly owned by KLM. Buzz flies all day-trips at the moment, which suits most people. Sure, there are some who have to commute longer distances, or who may want a night-stopping roster for other reasons. They would prefer to be on the KLMuk side of the operation. However, since the two sides use different aircraft, that isn't so easy. I would say that probably 70-80% of the pilots have a high morale on that point. Regarding expansion, we look at Easy and Ryanair, but I for one can't help wondering whether it will all end in tears.

2. Defections from buzz to the other low-costers. Purely off the top of my head I can think of two F/Os who went off to Easy and one captain who left for Go. None to Ryanair as far as I know. A few from the KLMuk side, primarily I think because they wanted an end to nightstops. Most people leaving the company are moving upwards rather than sideways; e.g. Emirates.

3. What appeals? I've been with KLMuk and its predecessors for over 23 years, four different bases, all sorts of different roster patterns. Now I have a 737 flying an interesting mix of routes, from 35 minutes to 3 hours, from Finland in the winter (minus 26) to Spain in the summer. I'm working with a good bunch of people, on the flightdeck, in the cabin and on the ground. Top of the list, I'm getting home every night, which to a home-lover is the BIG bonus. Plus, as I said, they are paying my wages. Not as much as I'd like, or perhaps think I'm worth, but a nice sum anyway, and look like doing it for a while to come. We may not be setting the headlines with hundreds of new aircraft, but I suspect we will be here after certain others have packed up their stalls and gone home.

Perhaps some of my colleagues will add a bit here?