PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - re-enlistment for civvy pilot - any options?
Old 4th Jul 2008, 09:42
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that was the argument that Alex was making. At least, not the way I read it. He was answering a post where somebody suggested that I just rejoin my old unit. I think he was trying to point out that both of us would quite naturally wish to volunteer the new skills we have acquired, and ask if they would be any use to our former units (which is what I first did). Would you really expect (say) a former soldier who was re-enlisting to simply not mention that, by the way, he had in the meantime qualified as a doctor?

FWIW, and as one would expect from the army, the AAC did indeed examine my application with care and imagination, and considered how best to take advantage of it. Luckily there are plenty of energetic people in the services (usually the ones who rise to the top) who do think outside the block, and who try to take advantage of opportunities rather than invent obstacles to protect the status-quo and avoid actually doing anything. However, they decided in the end that they had no structure in place to take on a single volunteer of my age and background - which I fully understand. There was no bragging from them that "oh you wouldn't last a week on EFT".