PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.I.P Skyhawks
Thread: R.I.P Skyhawks
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2008, 02:52
aseanaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the RNZAF 'Shyhawk Saga' has progressed to nil ?

I can see another New Zealand epic movie coming ... 'Lord of the Wings' were some sheep farmers from an obscure aero club in the South Island 'rescue' the captive birds (presently disguised in white as big seagulls, in one scene they throw rocks at them and are confused as to why they wont fly) and set them free to a Nirvana where they can fly for another 40 yrs (hmmm 80yr old fighters) , those guys from 'Flight of the ConChords' would be appropriate , dressed in flight gear , bone domes and classic retard one liners . I think a telepathic lamb as a side kick would be a good addition and Murray the band manager (moved from his consular cultural attache job to NZ Intelligence) as their 'man on the inside'

My view

1. We are talking about a 40 yr old fighter , they've had their day , still approriate for some military / commercial (mil-com ?) companies

2. The RAF is disposing of their Jaguars soon and they will go for peanuts , yes also old but they have had a lot of money spent on them and would be good enough for 5 to 10 yrs and then JUNK them , its a weapons system not a classic ferrari

3. The lose of a fast jet skill base is a worry , it will take years and some expensive and fatal accidents to get back to where you were as the wheel gets re-invented

When Australia finally gets some new jets some of the F-18s will head down to NZ 5 yrs from now - thats my 'likely outcome' prediction

OR

The front line fighter aircraft will be a 'flock' of unarmed CT4s with banner towing capability (with witty hard hitting slogans on the banners)

Last edited by aseanaero; 4th Jul 2008 at 03:28.