PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UN, Red Cross or interesting flying?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2002, 17:50
Elite Skipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You may want to take a look at a company called Zimex Aviation. Zimex Aviation is a Swiss based company, I believe. They fly Twin Otters and Turbo Porters. Their primary business focuses on contracts with various oil companies, mining companies and other corporations in many countries. Mostly in the Middle East and Africa. The aircraft ferry workers to and from the oil fields and/or mining camps.

The guys I knew have flown in Yemen, Ethiopia, Algeria and other countries in Africa and the Middle East. They said it is very, very interesting flying. Unfortunately, the down side is, quite often, you are confined to a desert tent camp or isolated base for up to 30 days at a time. You are basically at the mercy of the company for 24 hours a day until you complete your rotation.

You may also want to contact Kenn Borek Air in Calgary, Canada. This company does similar flying with Twin Otters. They have had a very interesting contract for several years with Maldivian Air Taxi. They wet leased several Twin Otters on floats to ferry tourists to and from the resorts in the Maldives, just off the southwest coast of India.

Also, Kenn Borek sent a Twin Otter to a research station in the dead of an Antarctic winter to rescue a sick doctor, last year. The rescue was staged from Calgary and the crew flew the Twin Otter all the way from Calgary to the Antarctic over a period of several weeks. The rescue mission was a success and it provided some very interesting and challenging flying for the pilots.

From what I have heard about the Kenn Borek job, it is an excellent place to work.

Hope this helps.

Elite Skipper

[ 09 February 2002: Message edited by: Elite Skipper ]</p>