PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you brief the approach plate?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 22:32
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several parts to briefing the approach, and it's not just the procedure itself. I perform a full approach briefing, out loud, even when flying single pilot, and don't differentiate between types of aircraft or the number of crewmembers..so the same approach works just as well in a 172 with another pilot or student, or solo as it does in a B747.

So far as the approach procedure itself being briefed, I prefer to set everything up, first. That means setting in the course, frequency, etc, where apropriate or as far as I can go at the time. When the approach is briefed, it's not so much a matter of rattling off a litany of numbers and headings and altitudes as it is a familiarization practice, and a verification of the work already done.

On several occasions I've seen different charts in the cockpit. This could occur for a number of reasons, but verifying the page number and the revision date is important. Part of the approach briefing will be the arrival, so that's included.

"This will be a left seat arrival and landing. We are expecting the ZAGA2B arrival, SHRPA transition. Expect crossing below 12,000 at BEDOL. Transition Level FL180. Airspeed restricted 230 after WANSA. We will fly the arrival off the FMS. Airspeed is built off bug 142, flaps 25 landing. Expecting the ILS 23L, plate 11-1, dated 07-07-07. Frequency 110.3 is set left and right, inbound course 232 set left and right. Glideslope intercept at 3,000' at KIKDA, located 7.3 miles on the localizer DME. Decision altitude one thousand one hundred, that's two hundred on the radar altimeter, set. Airport elevation 1,900'. MSA 6,000'. Missed will be straight ahead to 3 DME, then right heading 270. We will fly the missed on the FMS, and the hold is verified. On landing, it will be a left exit to taxiway Hotel, we have a hotspot there. Expect routing on Hotel to Bravo to parking. Comments or questions?"

The last sentence is the single most important one.