PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT Colours Parade - echos of the Great Escape
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 20:55
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
Pontius

Rant on...

I suspect he has had pressure applied from his CO to ensure no adverse press from the potential of a drunken idiot going berserk in Cheltenham? But unless we trust our people and treat them like adults, only punishing when they screw up, then we are going to keep losing people to PVR and ORD. The "2 can" rule and removing the PR threat of bad behaviour is indicative of the culturally bereft way of thinking within the current RAF and its senior leadership. Unfortunately, when we went through the transition in the 90s of there being 'no place in the RAF for the eccentric and war-leader style officers of the past' (Bader, Gibson, et al) we are now reaping the whirlwind. The spineless jellyfish that climb over each other to get to the top cannot lead people and then have to do 'leadership by numbers' as they have no natural talent to fall back on - often creating ill-feeling amongst those serving for, or with, them at the same time. The "2 can" rule, evening curfew and "no you can't stay with your family even though they live 5 minutes away" is de-rigeur in the modern RAF and I opine that it is the selection process for our upper echelons that is the root cause.

When I'm in charge it will all be different

Rant off...

Meanwhile back to the Planet LJ...

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 3rd Jul 2008 at 21:01. Reason: speelling