PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned CFIT?
Thread: Planned CFIT?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 17:30
planoramix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planned CFIT?

Are there other ways to define a published procedure that guides an aircraft into the terrain?

It is not a joke and it should never have happened but somehow this procedure was approved, made the print and is now a potential accident.

Seychelles Intl – Aerad Breakcloud VOR X 13 – N1 - 19 Jun 08.

Have a look at the plate and feel the thrill
(I have tryed to attach plates AJ1, N1 and N2 without success. I will try again but If someone with more expertize can help .. thanks)

Since its introduction in the binders nobody has, obviously, managed to complete the procedure.
The closure of the high ground has, so far, made everyone tracking inbound R324 break left at around 1800 ft and continue visually.
Because the weather allowed it.
Now with a nice layer at 1300ft only Mr. GPWS will hopefully be there to save the day.

All the pilots involved talked about the bad feeling but no one dared confront the word of truth of the Authority (SCAA).
Pilots relay on charts because with them safety is assured.

Murphy’s law at work.

Finally somebody went all the way as far as possible:
B763 in landing configuration, on speed and check list completed. A/P on leaves 2500ft at SEY11d in V/S rate 700 ft/min down to 1120 ft. Backed by GPS the fellow is accurately tracking on R324 inbound.
At SEY8.5 passing 1600ft “Terrain Pull Up Terrain” GPWS warning and another one bites the dust!!!!!
I wish to know the kind of emotional surprise they proved but it must not have been nice by the tone and wording they used in their ASR.

What next?
Who is going to check who?
Which Authority will take action?
Have the airlines operating on SEZ been informed of the situation?