PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 16:34
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys FAID is the greatest scam ever inflicted on workers.

I once had the great misfortune to be the CP of an international corporate jet operation and had to deal with CASA at a time when they had the hots for FAID as an alternative to CAO 48 and sundry dispensations. One of the morons from the university of south Australia who had dreamt this **** up in a lab to address fatigue in long distance truck drivers was then working for CASA as a 'consultant'

Having taken a great deal of time to get my head around it and after not insignificant expense on the part of my company for the computer program I determined it was a monumental WOFTAM about the same time as CASA took fright at the concept...not long after I told them we'd be happy continuing with CAO 48 thank you very fecking much.

I take some pride in the faint possibility that some of my more 'direct' observations on FAID made in phone conversations to CASA (including said moron) at the time may have contributed to their level of discomfort and it's subsequent fall from favor.

The great failing of FAID is it takes no account of 'life' in its calculation of fatigue, there is only 'work' and 'non work'. 'Work' attracts a fatigue score and 'non work' does not. 'Non work' assumes you are existing in a stress free bubble immune from 'life' when ever you're not doing 'work'. It assumes you never mow the lawn, run around paying bills, drive the kids to school, play sport (forget cardiovascular health - that would attract a BIG FAID score), argue with the wife...etc.

It is the sort of ****e that could only be dreamed up by a academic in a lab.

The only way FAID could ever hope of spitting out a reasonable answer would be if EVERYTHING you do, or don't do - think not get decent sleep in the middle of the day, in every 24 hr period was assigned a score and entered into the program...wouldn't that go down a treat with AsA?

According to our FAID software we could operate Singapore (our base) to Kathmandu return single crew and stay under 80. I did that trip many times with two crew and we all arrived home knackered...it was often an 18 hour duty (starting at some dumb time of night) filled with bad weather and much stress dealing with 3rd world officialdom of the worst kind.

FAID is a scam.