PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT Colours Parade - echos of the Great Escape
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 16:18
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
#6 (permalink) snapper41

The point is that we are a military service, and we are being awarded a new Colour by our Sovereign (whom we serve). Do you think that we should just shamble up to her, say 'thanks for the new flag' and shamble away again? Also, it's a chance to show ourselves off to the public (whom we also serve). You must remember the public - the ones who are bemoaned on pprune so often for not knowing who we are or what we do? Think about it - it's about having some pride in who we are and what we do.

And before we start the 'what about overstretch' agument - did anyone see Trooping the Colour last month? The Army are far more stretched than us; just try suggesting to them that they scrap the annual event. Ask any of those that were on the parade if they think it's a waste of time.

Tell me are you some Pilot Officer or the likes that actually believes that last line, that the troops like to do parades, whilst getting confined to base like some immature school kids and at all that???? no wonder there is such a movement of personnel out of the RAF.

All the parades I had to do in the RAF were a waste of time and money...... Standing in a bloody row for HRH this and HRH that to walk past on the way to a plane was not what I would call Moral building, more like Moral sapping..... I remember someone getting charged for having unpolished Buttons on his Uniform (staybright) after comments from the chain smoking Lush....
Most people go to RIAT to see aircraft flying and displayed, not to watch a flag ceremony.......

Surely she could simply pop it in the post, or get one of those Government people to deliver it in person , you never know it might actually get through.......

Speaking of parades, I can still remember the face on the SWO at a certain station in the South of England when I put in a redressal and requested to see the AOC on his visit......
Pressure was being used to get me to drop it until I said to OC Admin that I would march Smartly out onto the CO's parade straight up to the AOC and demand my interview, pointing out it had been denied me...it went through .......

Now not one to let some tinpot despot not let me have my legitimate moan and after not getting a decent answer I Promptly redressed the AOC in the interview, that caused a few dropped jaws what rankled was that all I got was a piece of bloody paper from further up the food chain, not the answer I was looking for and preventing me from getting a proper answer and being able to take it further.........

Last edited by NutLoose; 3rd Jul 2008 at 16:41.