PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospective OAT Student
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 15:52
WQ - ingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhodes13:
200 pounds a month is being extremely optimistic. Oxford is an expensive place and I can almost guarantee that you should budget about 300 pounds minimum a month
Well considering i budgeted £250, not far off.

Riding to school whilst a nice though could be impractical in the heavy rain and cold of winter, and have you given a though to the weight of those books you'll be lugging around?
I don't see your point? It's a mile! Throughout this year i've cycled rain, sleet or snow across central london to get to the library carrying copious amounts of heavy books everyday!

Then there is the problem of passing all flying on minimum time. Its not uncommon to partial pass the IR so then youll have to budget on yet more money to get more hours and more test fees up to the required standard.
That i agree with which is why i asked..

Like its been said before you will be entering the industry at the worst time. Have you budgeted on no job for 6 months? How will you pay mum and dad back?
This is my main concern.

I wish that Oxford students would get BA out of their head. Your chances of getting a job their are slim. It would be much more prudent to plan on getting no job at all or taking the FIRST job you are given the chance to join. Interesting fact but the majority of current students are going to the low cost carriers.
I don't have BA in my head and will accept any airline job, All APPFO cadets are considered by BA for the SSP though..

cfwake:
But if you'd be unable to afford to fund your own type rating and you know this for a fact now, why are you forging ahead with the course?! You will have a strong probability of going somewhere where paying your own TR will be necessary, and you'll feel rpetty hacked off when you end up unemployed because you relied on getting a job where you didn't pay for it!
This area is my main concern and the fact that i probably couldn't afford a TR indeed worries me..

Also yes, up till now employment at OAA has pretty much been as strong and positive as ever. What about over the next six months? Are you going to bet that they'll stay linear?!
If i start training in jan it won't be until 2010 that i start job hunting.

Raving RHAG Muncher:
Yet another person brainwashed by the Oxford mob. Do yourself a favour, open your ears and take some advice.
..... slightly unnecessary? Constructive criticism goes along way rather than idiotic patronizing.

So the general consensus i get is that oaa is a bad idea, unless you have a pot of gold to hand over to which ever airine comes knocking, and that now is not the right time to begin training in our current unsustainable industry?

Regards,

WQ.