PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 15:24
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
As an update to the idea that it would at all be rational to ignore an RA at night with a high speed intruder, I have provided a link to the limitations of the see and avoid principle study published by the Austalian accident investigation board. I have quoted a reference to it by the NTSB

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/..._and_Avoid.pdf

The report also indicated that there was considerable data available that was against the reliance on see-and-avoid. Although see-and-avoid was often effective at low closing speeds, it usually failed to avert collisions at higher speeds. It was estimated that see-and-avoid prevents 97 percent of possible collisions at closing speeds of between 101 and 199 knots but only 47 percent when the closing speed is greater than 400 knots. In addition, the human visual system is better at detecting moving targets than stationary targets, yet in most cases, an aircraft on a collision course appears as a stationary target in the pilot's visual field.
An approaching aircraft, in many cases, presents a very small visual angle until a short time before impact. In addition, complex backgrounds such as ground features or clouds hamper the identification of aircraft via a visual effect known as 'contour interaction'. This occurs when background contours interact with the form of the aircraft, producing a less distinct image. The report continued by indicating that even when an approaching aircraft has been sighted, there is no guarantee that evasive action will be successful, as it takes a significant amount of time to recognize and respond to a collision threat.
You may notice that this detailed report has a section on page 22 titled Evasive manoeuvre may increase collision risk that references a crash that I posted about in post #48 of this thread which was later dismissed as a confused post.

I would say that for someone posing as an accident analyst promoting the idea that going against the RA and attempt to visually manouver around conflicting high speed traffic as a rational decision is dangerous. There is no study to back this up theory and as far as I can tell, is based on nothing except perhaps an unwillingness to admit that the original statement was in error.

There has never been a midair collision between two TCAS equipped and operating aircraft where the RA instructions were followed. Yet coordinated RA's occur frequently.