PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS Activation times
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 15:00
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, the powers that be, whether management or med crew, can demand whatever liftoff time they like. I'll lift off when I lift off. If they don't like it, then something will change, whether it's my place of employment or theirs. I don't take any crap from med crews about flying, just as I don't give them any about medical stuff. As I said above, I don't waste any time, but I don't hurry. Hurrying will inevitably lead to increased times, and often an aborted flight. Having a routine and sticking with it no matter what helps to keep launch times down and prevent mistakes. I'm another without a ground crew to assist. We get a mechanic (engineer) when an inspection is due or the ship is grounded. There's me, the nurse, and the medic. One takes care of the medical equipment, one operates the battery cart, and we launch ourselves. If there is any check of the aircraft, I do it, both before and after the flight, including fueling, replenishing oil, and servicing the oxygen. I also do most of the preventive maintenance - changing light bulbs, etc. I would love to have multiple ground support personnel, but that won't happen. You live with what you have, or you leave. I can live with things the way they are, as long as I'm careful and do a walkaround before and after every flight.