PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA to Spain or Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 13:26
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most airports want paying in cash
I've never ever paid cash for fuel in Spain. Matter of fact, the fuellers much prefer cards, as they are liable to their employer if they lose the cash.

getting to Gib is a pain as there is a restricted zone right the way across the coast about 40 miles wide and up to FL300.
It used to be up to UNLD, must have changed it since they started allowing commercial traffic from Spain. Maybe if you're lucky you can now catch a thermal and climb over it It's there for political reasons, purely to annoy the Gibs.

spains restricted/danger areas arnt like the ones in the uk, they are no go
Not correct. Same as elsewhere, check AIP, NOTAMs, and ATC for their status. The only difference respect the UK is they don't have that silly DACS or whatever it's called. You just ask on whichever frequency you're on.

I would recommend Jerez if you need a stop
Agreed. Also Cordoba or Granada, if you want somewhere quieter. In Cordoba, stroll off the airport, up the road to the left for 200m and walk into the Real Aeroclub installations. More like a country club than an aeroclub.

if not then ops will want to bring you back to the terminal and there is naf all there, esp lacking in pre-flight
Sure you've been to the correct place? The ARO is up the stairs, discrete door to the left as you face the cafeteria[*]. They have the usual weather and flight planning computers, plus the people there are very helpful.

[*] Speaking of which, here is a trick: arrive at the cafeteria of any AENA airport with your reflective vest on and your headset on hand (extra points for company ID cards hanging from your neck). They will assume you are an airport worker / aircrew and you'll get 20% off on everything you buy.

Enty is 1000amsl and 2000 outbound amsl (but this changes per airport).
Not correct. It's whatever the VAC says it is, or what ATC tell you to fly at. Read the VAC carefully as it also has the radio failure instructions, which could save your licence one day.

I had a desire to arrive on a runway that has to stop the cars crossing before you land!