PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF WSO Crewman
Thread: RAF WSO Crewman
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:59
PerAdUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers guys, interesting to read what you guys have got to do, and it's good to hear that you enjoyed it for the most part.

Yeah "big and loud" isn't my only reason to want to work with a Chinook, don't get me wrong.
I basically think they're the backbone and workhorse of the Armed forces. (not just the RAF) I think they would be nice to work on and in because I'd never be without a job, they seem to get used plenty and I don't like sitting around (I probably will do when I get a bit older though).
I just think they're really striking aircraft as a pose to the Lynx etc.

As for joining the RAF in general, basically I've known I wanted to join the forces since I started making structured thoughts about my future.
I then fell in love (excuse the cliché) with aircraft when I went to my first open day at BAe, where my dad worked at the time.
3 or 4 years ago, I went to stay with some family friends in Akrotiri, Cyprus... Now that, that really made me start working towards joining the forces. The whole lifestyle and attitude of the people I met was awesome, and Civvy life didn't really seem comparable.
I could go on but I'm sure you don't want too big a wall of text to deal with.

Anyway, I was told preference doesn't matter too much, because you get streamed and put with the aircraft and roles you are most capable of.

Other questions I should have put in:

7: What aircraft do you work on?
8: What is the main role of this aircraft and what do you have to do on an average day?
(I'll just edit 'em into the ones I've put up aswell.)