PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 10:04
inputshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Flungdung,

I think the reasons people are staying in Nigeria are that the options aren't quite as easy as you imply, which is why I was pushing you on your post.

The frenzied Canadian budgie has been reasonably good to me, a couple of interesting places in Africa and now in Thailand with training captain's pay that isn't too far off the figure you quote for the North Sea. But like most pilots, my thoughts have sometimes wandered elsewhere and the reality is this:

1. Return to the GOM - about $75,000 optimistically
2. Maybe an EMS position - ditto
3. Lucky me, I am a UK citizen with a CAA ATPL, but even the North Sea would probably only start about $90,000 with high UK tax, as you admit above.

For my Canadian brethren, any return home would mean a 30 - 40% tax loss and a lower paying job.

Thing is, I'm personally in an OK position at the minute and I'm just using my options as an example. But if I was in Nigeria and couldn't get a better position in the company, I sure as heck couldn't jump ship, unless I was willing to take a huge cut in income (which I'd have to admit might be worth it, that's a personal qol decision). I suspect that's why the guys are so frustrated, they know conditions are bad but they can't just pick up and leave as you say. Instead of leaving and spending the next 10 years regaining their financial position, wouldn't it be nice if companies would give them the respect, better conditions and pay that they deserve in their situation now.

Last edited by inputshaft; 3rd Jul 2008 at 10:22. Reason: content