PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats a weel paid job if not PILOT
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 09:46
Philpaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HGV Driver ... While you're at it get yourself an ADR licence and work as much overtime as you can. I've spoken to the drivers at my company and they earn a good sum every month and they don't have any qualifications. (You need to be over 25 though).
You only have to be 21 for the ADR licence (same as C+E), its probably your companys insurance that has the age requirement. and as far as overtime goes you can only work 90 hours in a 2 week period and no more than 56 in a single week so your options there are limited too.

Investing in a Class C+E Articulated licence as well as an ADR licence (Dangerous Goods by Road) will land you a job quicker than investing in a fATPL with OAT to put you in the RHS of a BA jet ... and a much smaller price tag too. And the funny thing is that the HGV driver will also earn more then the FO for the first 3 years or so.
Also mostly wrong, your average C+E boy is only on £10 ph which working on a 45 hour week is still a rather poor wage and no company is gonna touch you with a barge pole without experience. You'd be a slave to the agencies for a good while first. No fun there at all. Even the OAT FO's are on 28k + aren't they? Mind suppose after loan repayments the Trucker might just edge it. If anyone watches the news though there has been a lot mor speculation around the future of the HGV driver than the Boeing driver with respect to fuel costs.

I got my C+E and ADR in the military but have since let the ADR lapse as there was no money in it. Much prefer working as a telecommunications contractor and earning between 5 and 7K a month. Contracting is definately where the money is, get your MS cert and some cisco (CCNA, CCNB, CCND and CCNP) quals and you'll be demanding 300-500 per day just for showing up.

Paz