PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow academy
Thread: Bristow academy
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 16:08
BusinessMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Pos - thought it might be of use to others to post my response to your PM about BA)

Hi Pos,

The job market is highly variable with time so I'll leave it to the JAA Head of Training when he does his talk in your first week regarding paths and prospects so that you have some info that's most up to date than I could give. Most people who aren't sponsored (c50% of the class) seem to aim for either instructing at BA or IR/Offshore after the course.

Typical training day is 3 x 2 hour lessons in groundschool on any of the subjects that you're studying in that phase (2 phases, each with half the ATPL exams). Eg Radio Nav, Air Law then POF. The ground instructors are all very good, covering the subject really well rather than just feeding you the minimum to answer the exam Qns.

After 7 weeks of groundschool you alternate days G'school with flying for 18 weeks. Flying days are eg: up at 6, at flightline for 7, pre-flight & briefs before lift at 8:30. Fly for an hour or so, debrief til 10. Then same process later on, say 14:00 slot. Tiring but great fun

Titusville isn't very lively (Shuttle launches aside ) but there is Cocoa Beach and plenty of other places to go see or visit.

Summerhill is good, bit better than Windover but I think you pay for it. I'm biased though

Anyway, you'll have a fantastic time. just listen to the other posts re bringing plenty of money, in particular a few $k right from the start as you cannot do anything in the US without a car. Also, suggest you aim to be out at least a week before you're due to start because you want to get all the boring admin squared away before the course starts; it is intense. (I mean buying a car, takin FL driving tests, TSA fingerprinting, FAA Medical, place to live, furniture etc etc).

Hope that helps.

BM