PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degree or no degree, that's the question
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 14:03
rayden1206

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am now 28 Years old.

I have two university degrees (one In BSc Management and one BSc in Business Communication) and an MSc in Human resources management from LSE (London School of economics).

I have acquired a JAA frozen ATPL from a very very very cheap flight school. I went for some interviews as a pilot and finally I was NOT employed only as a pilot.

Now I also work as the HRM advisor of a medium size airline, responsible for all the First Officers and crews (except captains).

The good:

Business executives of the company and Captains respect me a lot and I have an advising position in the board of directors meeting.

My salary is 1200 Euro more than other F/Os.

I choose my days off, the flights (destination and time) I prefer myself.

The bad: I am working a lot (flying and managerial work).

and also most of the other First Officer dont like me at all since I have less flying experience, and since I am in charge for them, they have to refer to me for schedules- days off etc...

You dont have to finish two universities plus Msc... But you must have a degree....

Airlines are not only pilots. Executives-managers etc... are NOT pilots and they will not respect you in the short term being only a pilot with one year flying education (until you have thousants of hours of flying experience).

Also you have better prospects of getting a better place sooner than just beiing a pilot...

And you have better prospects of getting a job as a pilot....