PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet Holding Pool
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 09:14
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is worth noting that last year we were desperate for captains and took on direct entry Embraer captains into the LHS. It was not a total success and we simultaneously took on a number of 5000hr+ SFOs from BMI and BA who were all hoping for quick commands. These experienced SFOs are top people and were frankly significantly better than the DECs - you can imagine how agrieved they felt at the situation. Nevertheless, they believed they would get quick commands but alas most, if not all, are still waiting. Such is the game of 'Snakes and Ladders' that is the airline industry. We right now have well over 100 SFOs in the command pool awaiting courses. In addition, we have a number of others awaiting selection who have been told 'no command assessment' during the summer. Those guys will shortly find themselves competing with the ex-GB FOs who are also champing at the bit to be promoted after their Ts&Cs are resolved. I understand some sort of 'deal' is being discussed with BALPA to ensure they get their place somewhere in the queue. Taken together, anyone who joins easyJet right now hoping for a quick command is going to be sadly disappointed. There is a long queue and the signs are that there will be a significantly reduced requirement for captains next year. I am not blaming anyone for the situation, but that is nonetheless the way it is. Finally, our Lords and Masters look like they are about to try and pull a fast one in terms of cutting our pay and a big battle is looming. The cabin crew are already in it and need to wise up sharpish to what is going on - alas the signs are not good and I sincerely hope they have the backbone for a fight because they are going to need it. All in all, let the buyer beware!