PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 07:49
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed
Thank you for your explanation, however I do not understand your use of the word ‘appropriate’ I’m afraid. The point I was making is this; do you use modern, up to date, accurate and reliable test equipment? Or, as has been suggested on this forum, do you use an inaccurate, unreliable and disproven method that employs soapy water?

That’s all I want you, or Nimrod AGE, or Spanners or indeed anyone at Kinloss to tell us! What method do you use? I have tried to be as open as possible on how we test for leaks in the civilian aviation world, why can’t you or your colleagues do the same? Nevertheless, I will gladly ask the engineers the next time I see them, and will pass on their comments, but as some on here think this is all fabricated by myself, I’m not sure of the point, but I will ask.

What you and many others here fail to understand is that, in the main, the aircraft that I fly in BA and all the major carriers, are a lot lot younger than Nimrod (Yes, I know, someone is going to say that BA have some old aircraft, and I am aware of that, but none are as old as Nimrod I think) Couple that with the fact that the flight profiles of the aircraft are so vastly different, and it goes without saying that Nimrod will need a great deal more ’looking after’ than my B747 will ever do! I therefore have to reject outright your comment that because you check your pipes more often that it puts you in a better light than BA. The fact is that you probably have to check your pipes more often simply because of the age of them!

So Ed, it’s back over to you…..Just what bit(s) of equipment are being used at Kinloss to check for fuel leaks and to locate them? Is it some fancy bit of kit or is it a good old bucket of H2O and some Fairy liquid??

Yours Aye