PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC Pilots Flying Pay Fiasco
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 07:10
Jack Stohl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps,

I understand the state of play regarding flying pay is this:

Current argument put forward by PS10 states that any time at E2 (including ICSC(L)) does not count as time towards the next band of flying pay, whereas time spent at E1 will.

This means that for a high calibre officer who wishes to gain a breadth and depth of understanding of defence outside the AAC will 'mark time' on their current rate of flying pay until they are posted back to E1 (in most cases that would hopefully be Sqn Comd).

So, this ruling will affect all those officers on basic or middle rate flying pay who are about to start, are in the process of or have completed ICSC(L) AND any officers who subsequently were posted to E2. For some of us, this will mean at least a 3 year delay to when we thought we were entitled to the next rate of flying pay. Interestingly, this ruling does not apply to the RAF as they see no distinction between E1 and E2! Nor does it apply to those officers who volunteer for ACSC (note the emphasis).

The AAC is fighting the ruling and have cited a number of cases where individuals will lose out on upwards of £15,000 over the next few years, but I fear that this is another classic case of too little too late. I understand that no information will be promulgated from 'HQ AAC' until a final decision is made.

At a time when the AAC are losing more than 50% of the Beige List each year, I find the whole situation quite distasteful - flying pay has always been peddled as a retention measure. Quite how that argument holds now is beyond me.

As an aside, if PS10 action this policy, MCM will find themselves in the unenviable position of having to post some people into E2 jobs with the caveat that they will be financially worse off than somebody posted to an E1 job at MW (for example) which may still have little to do with the realm of aviation.

I am one of these officers who will be severely disadvantaged (just not one of the 'high calibre' ones I mentioned at the top of the post!)

Rgds

Jack