PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 06:06
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigegilb (to Winco):
Winco please don't retire there are too many MOD trolls here and IPT look outs.
Who do you have in mind? Screen names, please, Nige.

I understand that MOD has gone into mini meltdown tonight over the revelation that Hickman may have misled the Inquest.
What revelation?

Its not a surprise that his testimony misled the Coroner. But, why am I not surprised that it has taken this long for the grown-ups to recognize the severity of his mistakes. "Its not ALARP" and "its tolerably safe". Its rubbish. All he had to say was that all risks of fire (catastrophic failure) have been mitigated, as confirmed by QQ, which means that the risks are minimal (broadly acceptable).

Therefore, risk reduction to ALARP is not required.

Of course, we all agree that this was NOT the case before the crash. The families have a good case for negligence, IMHO, and I am prepared to provide any technical or historical facts about the aircraft and its modus operandi before 2 Sep 06. But, they really should steer clear of any discussions about Nimrod safety management since the accident. Except to point out that the amount of (successful) mitigation work since the crash serves to support the case that the fleet was not safe before then.