PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Tips ???
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 06:04
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a word about groundloops

Whenever taildraggers are mentioned, so also is the dreaded groundloop. However, no one ever seems to tell you in advance how to recognise the onset of a groundloop or what to do when the symptoms appear.

The usual prelude to a groundloop is that during a landing roll in a strong crosswind your aircraft will suddenly swerve about 20 degrees into wind and will show every likelihood of running off the side of the runway. As you slow down, the directional deviation becomes more and more marked, until suddenly the aircraft will slew into a very tight turn finishing up facing back in the direction from which you have just come.

The important thing is to take immediate action as soon as you see that first swerve. I believe, experienced taildragger pilots can correct this with engine and brake, although I have never done this myself as I have never been able to afford sufficient flying to maintain the level of currency required.

So while you are still learning I would suggest you do what I was taught to do forty years ago. Whenever doing a cross wind landing in a significant crosswind prepare yourself in advance to be ready to do a go-around at an instant's notice. As soon as you see that initial swerve, power on and go around.

Broomstick.