PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam......The Helicopter War
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 04:08
OBX Lifeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knight 18 here with the 114th out of Vinh Long, March 70-71. I recall that Emu outfit. A bunch of them paid us a visit once and brought a bunch of that Australian beer. I drank it just like I would the American stuff and when I got up to leave there were two doors going out when I knew there had only been one coming in. The one I picked going out was actually the brick wall the base of which is where I came to the next morning.

What I remember best about the Emu's was the incredible bad luck the Aussies seemed to have. They were good pilots and all, but if a lift of five went in with 3 US and 2 Aussies and 2 were shot down, it seemed the 2 were the Aussies.

I always figured it was that Karma thing. The Aussies being Navy always claimed they didn't "understand our system" so they skated on the crap jobs like supply officer (or so I was brought to understand before I walked into the wall...) in the Emu outfit.

I've always been prejudiced in favor of any Australian (or Kiwi for that matter) I've met since then, there weren't many who stood along side us then.

When Iraq was getting ready to go down I told my son who was an infantry buck sergeant with the 101st, that France wasn't going, but Britain and Australia were. Having served with both the French and British in Kosovo he simply replied "Good and good...but I don't know anything about the Aussies dad...?" I told him they were right good fellows but to stay the heck away from their beer...