PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you brief the approach plate?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2008, 20:10
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you brief the approach plate?

At the school I did my training our approach briefings felt very long and not really to the point. Now I am starting to work at a flight school in San Diego and the briefings we use are kind of similar to once we used to do back home in Sweden.

The LOC-D appr. to Gillespie field (LID:SEE - LOC-D (0806)) could sound like this:

"Localizer Delta approach at Gillespie, Date 22:nd of April 05, plate 21-1. Localizer frequency 110.5, final approach course 269. Initial altitude 6600 feet at BARET inbound on course 269, identified by Julian radial 177. Next altitude 4500 at FAF SAMOS, identified by Julian radial 195. Next altitude 2700 feet at GRIGG, identified by Marker. Minimum descent altitude 1540 feet, if contact we will make a circle approach, not authorized northeast of runways 17 and 27 right. If no contact by decision point 5 minutes after SAMOS then we will initiate a missed approach. Missed approach procedure is climbing LEFT turn to 3000 feet direct MZB VOR. Minimum safe altitude is 5300 feet east of MZB. Any questions?"

I have just read everything right of the plate and afterwards I don't remember a fraction of what I just briefed. While doing this briefing (single pilot) you are supposed to fly the plane and monitor a very busy frequency. And just knowing that reading out every single altitude and every single radial will take you 2 minutes of your valuable time makes it even more stressful.

An easier way to brief it, and still all necessary information given, I find:

"Localizer Delta approach at Gillespie, plate 21-1. Vectors for localizer set on NAV1. Initial altitude 6600 feet. NAV2 for position awareness. Minimum descent altitude 1540 feet with circle to land, not authorized northeast of the field. If no contact by decision point 4 min after SAMOS we'll do a missed approach, climbing left turn to 3000 ft direct MZB VOR. Any questions?"

That takes merely half the time and you might also remember the briefing. What are your opinions? Do the briefings need to contain any single item written on there? You are always allowed to look on the plate.