PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - re-enlistment for civvy pilot - any options?
Old 1st Jul 2008, 18:52
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cirrus.

Leaving aside your frankly enormous chip for a second, when exactly did I impugne your flying skills?

You may be the new Winkle Brown, but the point is that unless you went through the Military training system how would we know, and how could we judge your areas of knowledge and be sure that no areas were missed?
There is a reason that we do not get any civvy quals, and it's because they are not applicable to what we do.

Also, what makes a good military pilot may not tally with what you might imagine, or what might make a good civvy pilot. There are vast gulfs between what is desirable in a military pilot and in a civvy. In part, that may account for the occasional problems that occur, such as in the case of the ex mil pilot you mention having difficulties with his IR.

"get together half a dozen or so well motivated ready-qualified pilots, push them through a bit of gentle marching and saluting refresher training at Crandhurst or wherever, and stream them as onto Defender and King Air which (presumably) civvy trained pilots could be adapted to relatively easily."

The entire paragraph above but particularly the bits I have highlighted show the vast gulf between your impression of what a military pilot does and what he actually does.
I assure you, that everybody mil on this forum will read that paragraph and wince.

Flying is easy as we all know.
Operating a military aircraft can be a very different thing.

Last edited by Tourist; 1st Jul 2008 at 19:17.