PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde from zero to Mach 2 in minutes?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2008, 18:48
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly Boy

Are you still under the impression that claim is that a Concorde flew at mach 2 (attained in 9 minutes) on a direct, approximately easterley, Cardiff - Heathrow flight? Your posts indicate that you are, and that a TU144 could do that as well.

The Concorde headed out from Cardiff down the Bristol Channel in a south westerly direction, accellerating and climbing to mach 2 at 60,000ft using the 'in service' accel routing, which it achieved inside 9 minutes from brake release. It then slowed, descended, and turned around so it was relatively low and subsonic approaching the North Devon coast for a subsonic transit to heathrow.

It had min fuel for the ferry flight to Heathrow which certainly helped it achieve the record. My point about 'a TU144 having to return to Cardiff to re-fuel before the transit to Heathrow' was a jibe at its fuel consumption and not to be taken litterally (though with the min fuel uplifted for the ferry, and the 144's need to maintain A/B, that may have litterally have been the case).

I used to part-own a Russian aeroplane - a Yak52. And a very fine aeroplane it was, so I don't have any irrational western 'anti-Russian-aeroplane' bias.

However, no way was the TU144 an aeroplane comparable in any way to Concorde as a practical SST, as the 144's in-service record compared to Concorde's shows.