PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sweepbacks nose high attitude on approach?
Old 1st Jul 2008, 16:30
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft pitch attitude on approach is a function of glideslope angle, (body) angle of attack and headwind. Assuming the same glideslope and headwind, then the variable is body AoA.

Body AoA is a function of: wing (setting) incidence, approach speed as a factor of stall speed and stall AoA.

If I keep stall AoA unchanged, and keep wing incidence unchanged, then the closer my approach speed to the stall, the higher my body AoA and thus higher my pitch attitude on approach.
Modern aircraft using the 1.23Vs1g rule probably fly closer to the aerodynamic stall on approach, and therefore will approach more nose-high

If I keep stall AoA unchanged and approach speed factor unchanged, then my wing AoA on approach is also unchanged. But if I vary wing incidence I will change my body AoA for a fixed wing AoA
Aircraft with smaller wing (setting) incidence will tend to approach more nose-high

If I keep approach speed factor unchanged, and wing setting incidence unchanged, but increase my stall AoA (by, say, use of slats or the like) then I will fly the same 'distance from stall' but stall is at a higher AoA, therefore I fly at a higher AoA
Aircraft with LE devices will tend to approach at higher AoA

Incidentally, an oversized wing shouldn't be a factor, because you still fly at a stall speed ratio on approach. You would fly slower, but at the same AoA, as a heavier aircraft with the same wing.