PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tax Time
Thread: Tax Time
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2008, 13:33
Teal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home phone if you are "on call"
If you want to claim some line rental costs, you'll need to keep a diary for a representative period to demonstrate the work-related portion of all your incoming/outgoing calls.

The boss paid me $70 a day extra to cover my driving there (wouldn't cover it now!) this appeared on my group certificate at LAFH allowance.
Genuine LAFHA payments should not appear on group certs because they are covered by FBT legislation - not an income tax issue at all. So either your boss didn't know what he was doing, or he was paying you a travelling allowance or kms (car) allowance. And even travelling allowances should not appear on group certs if below the 'reasonable amounts' set by the ATO.

if you are forced for work to work away from home and don't receive expenses (eg. hotel / meals), you can claim approximately $175 PER DAY WITHOUT RECEIPTS!
That would be the amounts set out in TD2007/21. The rates vary according to the city visited and your salary level. Neither the allowance nor the expenses have to be included in your tax return if the allowance does not exceed the reasonable amounts and has been fully expended on deductible expenses. If an amount less than the allowance has been expended, then your tax return must include the allowance and the expenses claimed. If a deduction is claimed, then the allowance must be included in the tax return.

Medical certificates for sick days off
Medical expenses for sick days not deductible but may be accumulated to claim a tax offset (rebate) if the net out-of-pocket amount of all eligible medical expenses exceeds $1500

Shoes Non slip black shoes claimable
If they are conventional shoes, then technically not deductible. Check with employer to see if shoes are part of a uniform officially registered with AusIndustry.

my accountant classes all travel to work if I have bulky luggage as deductible
Not without some risk and will depend on the specific circumstances of each pilot/engineer etc. If equipment is both sufficiently voluminous and heavy then chances are improved.

Best to spend a few dollars and go to a good tax accountant
Alternative is to spend of lot of hours doing a lot of reading... TR 95/19 (Income tax: airline industry employees - allowances, reimbursements and work-related deductions) is a good start (41 pages). A cure for insomnia.
Suggest that you pay the (deductible) money to an expert, but shop around for quotes. Don't get ripped off.

T