PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senior Australian army pilots accused of being cowboys
Old 1st Jul 2008, 12:02
Blackhawk9

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Angus was one of the first pilots to be endorsed on the Black hawk in Australia , he was my boss as CO of 9 sqn RAAF and OC A Sqn 5Avn Regt (yep Airforce boss of an Army unit) , he was the Boss in the early days of the Black hawk and was involved in assault and spec ops work if he calls someone a cowboy in particular a helo pilot i'd believe him ,he would not come out with a statement like that lightly, if he was a fastjet pilot his coments may have been taken lightly but his whole career has been in the Army support tactical role, Huey's, Blackhawks,C-130's etc.

And when i've talked to US Army exchange pilots with 160th experiance they have even been amazed as to why the Australian Army pushed there Black hawks so hard when there was no real need to,

or Sikorsky tech reps who said the same thing, our Black hawks had structural cracks at almost half the hours other operators got them.

of the 39 Black hawks delivered 7 have been crashed ,2 in crashes near Oakey ,2 in the High Range accident near Townsville, the Fiji accident and the Timor incident , 6 right offs and 1 cat 4 crash and all pilot error.