PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Emergency Descent
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2008, 10:02
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always been uncomfortable with the concept of hurtling down ASAP to 10,000'. I paraglide at 12,000' and ski at that altitude as well. Somehow this magic threshold has become a do or die finishing line to a vertical race.
I remember an Air Europe B757 coming out of Bangor UK bound a few years ago. He had a depressurisation problem, hurtled earthwards as per SOP's, down to < 10,000'. It was reported that a considerable number of pax had burst ear drums. I've never had one, but know those who've had. It is extremely painful and can render you 'incapacitated'. What if that happened to one or both pilots? A not so bad situation has become much worse.
Lack of O2 is not a problem due to onboard systems and routes chosen to obey the rules.

Why is it not SOP to reduce ROD, say 2000fpm, once below 15,000' so as to be something more manageable for the majority of ears. I for one will do so should the event occur. Once below 18,000' you ain't gonna die due to lack of puff.

It is curious that in most real events something is learnt and procedures modified with the experience gained. In this scenario it does not appear to have been the case.