PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dan Air 1008
Thread: Dan Air 1008
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2008, 20:09
cfwake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I feel this guy is being victimised when all he's said is that he would like to make a documentary about a fairly significant historical event for its field. Perhaps the fruits of his work should be judged on their merit, irrelevant of their intention, which may not even (and some people may find it unbelievable) be any more sinister than documenting the accident for posterity and trying to analyse what went wrong.

As a perfect example, indeed, I have never studied this accident in depth and only have a basic idea of what went on - perhaps the audience I refer to is far smaller than the intended, but when we start out in our careers (and I really am just starting out in mine, with an IR during the next fortnight) can they in fact foster a better understanding of the job, the importance of CRM and all of those good, multi crewish sort of ideas that are pushed so enthusiastically by the aviation world today? Certainly my course have watched most of the Air Accident Investigations, both as part of the course and out of sheer interest, and while the more expericenced of you out there may ridicule this, such programs are the first taster of similar events for many of us and DO give us good, and occasionally stark idea, of what can go wrong when things aren't done right the first time, an idea that is pretty vital to portray in the earliest stages of training.

I am constantly saddened to find that the industry into which I have chosen to enter seems to be populated by such a percentage of irrationally prejudiced, untrusting individuals, especially those who hypocritically cry words such as 'respect' when their chosen screen name is that of someone who was killed in a household accident and whose family was doubtlessly devastated by such a loss no less than those whose family were killed in an air accident.

I have to agree with Midland 331, this forum has the increasing feel of being inhabited solely by those who have nothing helpful to say yet who are far too willing to say it. If you don't feel that such a programme would be beneficial, perhaps there are more mature ways of saying it than two of the posts that accompany this thread (one which I notice has now been removed), especially when those who inhabit it are expected to be capable of more than slinging insults in order to put their argument across in their day to day career.