PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol Vs Fatigue
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2008, 10:29
Julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcohol Vs Fatigue

Spent a lazy weekend in front of the box and ended up watching re-runs of Top Gear and Fifth Gear on Dave.

They showed an episode of Firth Gear from about 2003 with Tiff Needel and Quentin Wilson where they compared the effects on drink driving and fatigue to each other. They did various group tests with Wilsons group of test subjects been was kept up all night whilst Needels were kept slightly over the limit. It culminated with the two of them taking it in turn to drive round a track simulating a motorway environment (but no other traffic!).

The piece ended with a Professor from the University of Loughbrough backing up their findings with some research they had done that showed that being fatigued you are actually more likely to have an accident than if you were slightly over the drink/drive limit.

Pretty interesting stuff and a bit of an eye opener for me as I would have thought the opposite. I know they did it in cars but its pretty pertinent to flying too, I know I have flown when tired before.

J.